Out of all the holiday destinations in India, Kerala is one of the best places to visit. Known as God’s own country, Kerala is home to rich culture and tradition. It is undoubtedly one of the most magnificent places on Earth. There is diversity in its people, culture and history, hence making it a top tourist attraction.
Here are some places that we recommend you to visit in Kerala:
- Alleppey Backwaters: This place is well known for its beautiful and serene backwaters. Alleppey is described as one of the best locations in Kerala, fondly called as ‘Venice of the East’ by Lord Curzon because of its wonderful backwater rides on houseboats. You can savour delicious traditional fish recipes while soaking into the beautiful view. You can visit these backwaters in any month. However, October to December is the best time to visit.
Tourist destinations in Alleppey: Chettikulangara Bhagavathy Temple, Arthunkal Church, Krishnapuram Palace, Pathiramanal, Marari Beach, Sri Krishna Temple in Ambalappuzha.
Best months to Visit Alleppey: January to December
- Munnar: One of the most popular hill stations in South India and surely one of the best tourist destinations in Kerala. This hill station has a great view of mountain slopes on display. The slopes are covered with about 80,000 miles of green tea farms. There are special arrangements for waterfalls and hiking routes for adventure lovers. It is one of the most unique and picturesque places in India.
Tourist destinations in Munnar: TATA Tea Museum, Blossom Park, Pothamedu View Point, Attukal Waterfalls, Top Station, Kundala Lake, Mattupetty Dam, Eravikulam National Park, Marayoor Dolmens, Anamudi, Indo Swiss Dairy Farm, Lockhart Gap, Cheeyappara Waterfalls, Life of Pi Church, Meesapulimala.
Best months to Visit Munnar: January to December
- Wayanad: You can surely say that it is a ‘Green Paradise’ in Kerala. An amalgamation of nature and heaven together, Wayanad is a gorgeous destination. It is also rich in tribal heritage. Moreover, it is a popular destination for trekking in the monsoons, thus making it the best season to visit and witness the beautiful scenic beauty it has to offer.
Tourist Destinations in Wayanad: Thusharagiri Waterfalls, Thirunelli Temple, Banasura Hill, Lakkidi View Point, P Kuruvadweep, Puliyarmala Jain Temple, Kabini, Papanashini River and Padinjarathara Dam.
Best time to visit: October to May (Adventure seekers should visit during monsoon months of July and August to enjoy the perks of trekking and adventure activities.)
- Thekkady – If you are interested in wildlife safaris and exploring nature, you must visit this place! In Thekkady, you will get to see a variety of vegetation and exotic wildlife. If lucky, you may get to watch the near extinct animal species from afar during wildlife safaris in Thekkady.
Tourist Destinations in Thekkady: Periyar Lake, Kadathanadan Kalari Centre, Elephant Junction, Deepa World Spice and Ayurvedic Garden, Kumily, Ramakkalmedu, Mullaperiyar Dam, Periyar Tiger Trail, Mudra Cultural Centre, Vandiperiyar, Chellarkovil, Murikkady, and Vandanmedu.
Best time to visit: November to October
- Kovalam Beach: For all you beach bums, this is the place for you to be! Kovalam Beach is one of the best beaches in Kerala. It is quite famous for its grand New Year celebrations, relaxing massages, Ayurvedic treatments and water sports.
Tourist Destinations in Kovalam Beach: Lighthouse Beach, Hawah Beach, The Lighthouse, Samudra Beach, Thiruvallam Parasurama Temple, Vizhinjam Marine Aquarium, Halcyon Castle, Akkulam Lake, Vizhinjam Fishing Harbor, Kovalam Jama Masjid, Vellayani Lake, Karamana River, Aruvikkara, Rock Cut Caves, and Valiathura Pier.
Best time to visit: September to May
- Bekal: The Bekal Fort is one of the reasons why Bekal is considered a great tourist place. Indian Movies like Rang De Basanti have been shot in these fort premises. Bekal has also been rated as one of the top three honeymoon places in South India.
Tourist Destinations in Bekal: Bekal Fort, Ananthapura Temple, Valiyaparamba Backwaters, Bekal Beach, Mallikarjuna Temple, Chandragiri Fort, Kappil Beach, Nileswaram, Bekal Hole Aqua Park, and Pallikere Beach.
Best time to visit: All year round
- Kozhikode: Also known as Calicut, Kozhikode is one of the active commercial cities in Kerala. It is famous for its rich culture, historic sites and educational institutions. The architecture of this place has been strongly influenced by the Dutch and the British. The place is also known for its authentic Malabar food.
Tourist Destinations in Kozhikode: Mananchira, Conolly Canal, Hilite Mall, Kallayi, Thali Temple, Kappad Beach, Kozhikode Beach, Thusharagiri Waterfalls, Sargaalaya, Payyoli Beach, Kozhippara Falls, and Matri Dei Cathedral.
Best time to visit: All year round